This is an ongoing program, with no deadline for signup. Contact email@example.com to sign up for the Liability Insurance.
Nearly a year ago Bremer Insurance partnered with the MN Council of Nonprofits to purchase their insurance operation. I’m please to announce that the group insurance policy program for Minnesota performing arts organizations is still available. By covering many theaters under one policy, this program could mean cheaper premiums and greater coverage for many of you.
More about this program:
• This is for public liability of a venue – the kind of insurance that covers you if someone in your audience falls down and sues you. There are other kinds of insurance you may need as well. See note in bold below.
• Only nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations are eligible, and we are unable to provide coverage through a fiscal agent at this time.
• This coverage is good for a whole year, at any and all venues that you perform in MN, ND, SD, IA, and WI (whether you own, lease, or short-term rent it).
• The total shared, group coverage is up to $1M per occurrence and $3M aggregate, plus $1M liquor liability.
• The annual premium is approximately 40% less than a comparable individual policy would be, and it's on a sliding scale based on attendance. In addition to the premium below, the Alliance will charge an administrative fee of $25 to Alliance members and $50 for non-members.
o Theaters with under 5,000 admissions: $400
o Theaters with 5,000 to 10,000 annual admissions: $600
o Theaters with 10,000 to 15,000 annual admissions: $750
o Theaters with 15,000 to 25,000 annual admissions: $900
o For theaters with larger admissions, you can apply for insurance directly with Bremer, and get preferred rates through your affiliation with the Alliance.
The above policy only covers the general public attending your events. Contractors, employees, and volunteer actors are not covered. Contractors should provide their own coverage. You should be covering employees through Workers Compensation insurance. And volunteers should be covered under a separate Volunteer Liability Insurance policy.
Bremer Insurance has other kinds of policies, including Property Insurance (for damage or theft of property), Directors & Officers Insurance (for your board of directors and staff), and Workers Compensation Insurance (for injuries to your employees)
Other insurance links
The Free Management Library has a number of reference pages you might find useful.